Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Good Fences Make Good Neighbors; Broken Fences Make..

I don't know if anyone is really following this site much anymore since the Morriss expansion project has been in the design phase. So if you are still a follower, feel free to reply and let us know you are alive!

It happened again last Sunday; right after the Super Bowl. Another vehicle ran off Morriss Rd. This seems to happen about once every quarter or few months. (If anyone has the time to look up the police records, it would be interesting to see an actual tally.) This time the vehicle struck close to me; about a block north of Forestwood Middle School. It got my neighbor's fence and only slightly damaged one corner of my fence about 10ft from my kids' swing set and sandbox (just next to that dividing fence in the photo below). We are waiting on the police report.

My 7-year old was fascinated by the damage. In true 7-year old fancy, she imagined herself on her swing and watching a spectacular collision and catastrophe. I tried to explain to her the concept of low-risk probabilities and that her swingset is perfectly safe. But her eyes glassed over and her interests diverted to other subjects, thankfully!

I know this sort of thing can and does happen on roads all over town. However, it would be foolish to think that an expanded Morriss Rd with higher vehicle counts and higher speeds won't see an increase in this risk. It is just another reason why we [Morriss Rd residents] should have been involved before the Town submitted for funding this project. This section of Morriss Rd has no business being a 6 lane artery. But entering the debate after funding was approved proved to be too late to affect significant change.

2 comments:

  1. I saw this damage too. A few months ago there was a similar accident on the opposite side of Morriss where a young driver swerved off the road and hit the fence in the rain. I think they may have swerved all the way over the median by the way the car was in the fence.

    I really hope they keep this part of Morriss 4 lanes. It is just too residential of an area to have more lanes put in. And the curves really cause havoc when it gets wet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sad every time I drive the new FM 2499 6 lane road. It is hard to make a left safely. I then think that they want to do the same thing in front of Forestwood Middle School. I am still asking why? It is not logical.

    ReplyDelete