Sunday, May 9, 2010

Peaceful, Easy Feeling

Yesterday was truly amazing.

As I watched the events wind down after two months of hectic, not knowing what was coming next feelings, it was over by 7:30 last night. The crowds at the Police and Courts Building were dizzying, the constant flow of traffic, all the same minded people not caring if it took an hour or 3 hours to get the task done, it was getting done. The volunteers finding that last wind to go out and stand in the blazing sun holding up a sign was more important than the simplicity of the task. The fact that we were one step ahead of the opposition in everything we did, from the NFL express shuttle, to food and water. The one difference was we were so focus driven they could not match that as hard as they tried.

As the first results rolled out on the TV screen, I knew then it had done what was planned and it couldn't have been scripted any more perfect.

The elation of everyone I ran into at the ZGrill was so euphoric, you could not help having a giddy smile on your face. The job was done and now was time to soak it in because a lot of hard work is yet to come.

To think that now the distinct possibility of not having a toxic waste storage unit in our town will become a reality. The possibility that the signs on Gerault and all up and down Morriss reminding us that Phase One is in progress could soon be obsolete since Phase One will be it. To think that phase two might just go away altogether is a true dream completed. I woke up, remembered it, and lived. To think that huge chunk of wilderness and trees that could have been The Riverwalk will probably remain a lot more tree than apartments makes every breath I take cleaner and sweeter.

All of it was such a wonderful effort by so many extraordinary people who's main goal was to keep breathing clean, sweet air and live in a town that the threat of it disappearing was now remote. That was truly all of our goals, the simplest of emotions drove us to this extraordinary feat we just completed.

When I woke up early this morning, I didn't care I had just got just over 4 hours of sleep before a work day. I went outside to the freshest of mornings with rain clearing the air an hour earlier and the light starting to creep into the eastern sky, it all felt so different. I got on the road and headed south and looked at my town differently, and thoughts of tasks ahead of how to save it behind me. I could take pleasure with it and a clear and evident peace surrounded it.

I can't wait for the day to change the name of this blog to Stopped Morriss 6.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, thank you Stop Morriss 6 and Flower Mound Cares group for all the work and time given to bring our town back together instead of being run by outsiders. Congrats to Team NFL. I think I will now attend another town meeting. It was so frustrating going to them and watching how the soon-to-be ex-Mayor treated the residents and their concerns. Many times mocking us (those against what she wanted). Thank you all!!! Thank for keeping us informed. My best to Mayor Northern, Councilman Filidoro, Lyda & Hayden. I hope that both Councilman Wallace and Dixon will now start to listen to the residents and their concerns and take us seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog is meandering from it's title: Stop Morriss Six. I am merely making an observation. The blog owner has the right to do as he/she pleases.

    However, comments on the core issue will then be buried.

    Despite optimism shared on this blog, progress on the Mayor Jody Smith Freeway continues. Between Forest Vista and Firewheel the beautiful boulevard with a wide, tree-lined median is disappearing rapidly.

    ReplyDelete