Monday, April 27, 2009

Tom Hayden's Position on the Proposed Morriss Road Expansion

Hello, my name is Tom Hayden and I am a candidate for Flower Mound Town Council, Place 5. I have had the opportunity to meet many of you as I visited your home to ask for your support. If we haven’t met I would encourage you to contact me at 214-384-1105 (cell) or (972) 899-0655 (home).

It seems that all candidates running for Town Council this year have said they support Flower Mound’s Smart Growth initiatives. There are three items on Smart Growth that I believe directly apply to Morris Road.

· Ensure growth is served with adequate public infrastructure, services and facilities

· Ensure growth contributes to the attainment of the community, character and quality of life objectives established in the Town’s Master Plan

· Ensure growth does not occur at the expense of environmental quality, community character or quality of life.

I am of the opinion and I believe the majority of residents along Morriss Road have said that if Morriss is expanded to six lanes it will totally alter the Community Character for the residents in that area. How do you balance adequate public infrastructure with the preservation of a community’s character?

The widening of Morriss Road is directly tied to the “projection” of additional traffic from the Riverwalk. I believe it is absolutely wrong to alter the safety and character of Morriss Road. Not only is this bad for Morriss Road, but it would conflict with our Smart Growth initiatives based upon projections. Citizen’s first, my pledge on all my signs, means that I will not support a project that literally thousands (and that is a low estimate) of our residents have said they strongly oppose.

If elected to council I have said from the beginning that I will put the citizens of our town first and that means being your representative, your voice. I will fight to preserve the character of your community. I will not support the widening of Morriss Road. If in the distant future “Projections” turn into need, and you the residents say “Tom we need to widened Morriss Road” then the issue can be revisited.

Lastly I urge you to vote. Many of you have said you oppose the widening of the road. Signs opposing the expansion, public opposition, and rallies all have increased public awareness of the problem. However, the only truly effective method to stop the six lane expansion of Morriss Road is to vote in a mass block against those supporting the expansion and to support those on a new council who favor your position. There is no clearer and lasting message to the political body than a mass voter turnout. The expansion party is counting on you to not deliver a massive vote based on your convictions. You can NOT count on your neighbor to vote for you. Every vote is crucial – a bare majority is not sufficient - your opposition must be overwhelming.

Thank You,
Tom Hayden
Candidate for Flower Mound Town Council, Place 5

9 comments:

  1. You've got my vote!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said Mr. Hayden. You have my vote too. I would also like to mention your business experience is one of the reasons I am voting for you. I believe you will look at projects and judge them on how all residents will benefit and not just a few.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We need people on our town council who are real problem solvers. We cannot solve today's problems with permanent solutions that will destroy our town in the near future. I think you are someone who will look at all of the alternatives. You have my vote.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I support Tom Hayden for Place 5. I've only gotten to know him over the last few months, but I believe he is on our side when it comes to preserving our Town. I consider myself a numbers guy, but Tom has a vast knowledge about our Town’s current budget and what it’s going to take to get us back on the right path.
    Tom has a tough race against Angie Cox and Rick Cleland, but when you boil it all down, Tom is the man for the job! Tom isn’t in anyone’s back pocket and took no donations for his campaign to prove it.
    It’s quite simple actually, if you like the direction our Town is going, vote for Dixon/Wallace/Cox.
    However, if you think things are getting way out of control, Vote for Lyda / Butler / Hayden.
    We need to get three fresh faces on this Council to turn things around. One of us alone, can’t make the difference. The Lyda / Butler /Hayden team will have the Common Sense votes that our Town needs to get back to its roots of a Citizens First mentality!
    Obviously I am biased on the issue and you should take my post as such :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said Bob. I voting for change!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Flower Mound is a great place to live, beautiful and we are growing at a reasonable pace and I think our council has done very well over the past 4 or 5 years. I don't think anyone running will want to plop 2 new lanes on Morriss anytime soon, but they will probably be more informed that most. Dixon/Wallace/Cox have by far the most service and are the most reasonable candidates. Bob is a single issue candidate that may be faced with a problem. Vote in his own best interest or vote for the best interest of the Town.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am very wary of candidates who say they are totally opposed to something, when they know there is a large group of voters out there waiting to hear such. I am more inclined to believe the candidates who say they want to hear more before making a decision. Quite honestly, I want a councilmember to have a backbone, to do what's best for the town, even when it might be the unpopular thing to do. I am not saying that widening Morris is the right thing, so don't get me wrong. What I am saying is that there are a host of other issues that come before the town and I want a council member that doesn't just vote with the numbers, but makes his/her vote matter to the town as a whole. I think we should all be very careful when candidates tell us exactly what we want to hear. If we believe the hype, most likely we will end up very disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Then you should vote for someone with a record to stand on like Mike Wallace.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I guess I have to say, I like the direction the current council has taken us over the last few years. With very few exceptions, I have been happy with the decisions they have made. I will not base my vote on one issue. I will base it on who will make the best choices on all issues for our town without bias. The last thing we need are council members who are beholden to the special interest groups that got them elected. Everyone who comes before the town should get a fair shake- which is impossible if a councilmember already has his mind made up because of the position he declared in an election.

    ReplyDelete