Wednesday, March 11, 2009

More attention for our cause.

Go to the link for a very interesting posting and a very objective view.

www.flowermound.net


First of all, I would like to state that I do not live in a neighborhood on this road. I do however work at a business that does, and live not far from Morriss. During one of my commutes back home I saw a banner advertising a blog, STOPMORRISS6.BLOGSPOT.COM. I immediately thought, "oh great, another Stop 2499 or Windsor nut, who doesnt realize how much this would benefit the community." However as I continued to drive during what is considered "rush hour," I then questioned the reasons behind wanting to expand the road. Traffic really wasnt that bad. I think half of the traffic, me included, only used the road to bypass the 2499 construction. Meaning, once thats finished, we wont have a need to drive there.

The speed limits 40mph, the right lane is much slower due to right turners, and with the road all windy, not only is the road much longer than it should be, but every SUV has to brake, driving 30mph because OMG, they'll flip! On top of that theres school zones, so during certain times of the day, why even bother driving it, if you can avoid it?

So pretty much this road is there for its residents, so once 2499, and even 407 is fixed, what little traffic they had will greatly decrease. Even with the rush hour traffic, there really is no issue. Everyone is capable of making it through the lights, and other than your occasional sports biker, speeding doesnt seem an issue.

However I know that with 6 lanes, speeding will be an issue, because as Ive noticed with 3040 and other expanded roads, more space means more speed, even if the speed limit lowers. I also wouldnt like seeing them cut down many of those trees which live in the current medians. Plus with smaller medians, means that residents during rush hour will have a difficult time turning left out of their neighborhood, because they wont have an area in the middle to sit at, meaning they will have to wait even longer for more lanes to be free. I dont see how, with the Riverwalk property fully completed, traffic would be so bad. Remember that most of that traffic will most likely use the newly expanded 2499.

Pretty much the ONLY thing that should be done is extending the left turn lane for the westbound 1171 turners. All it takes is 3 SUVs (which everyone in this town seems to have) and that lane gets blocked up. Due to the way they have the lights, this means everyone turning left loses their arrow (which is needed during rush hour) and have to wait through another light cycle. The westbound 3040 left also suffers this fate during rush hour, but their lane is already pretty long as it is, so I doubt anything will be done for them.

So pretty much, there is no need for the expansion of Morriss/Gerault, therefore I FINALLY side with these homeowners.
Back to top

1 comment: